Garbage disposals are environmentally friendly. They reduce food scrap waste that would otherwise end up in the landfill and create harmful methane gas. Excess use, however, can cause a backup. We’ll show you how to clear a clogged garbage disposal if the drain becomes plugged.
What NOT to Put in a Garbage Disposal
Many homeowners are surprised that a unit made to dispose of garbage can become clogged by, well, garbage. The unit isn’t made of indestructible Adamantium and can only handle certain types of garbage. Obviously, non-food waste should never go in the disposal. Food-based items not to throw in include:
- Avocado pits
- Corn cobs
- Animal and fish bones
- Potato peels
Clogging may also occur if you dump acceptable items too quickly.
Our residential plumbers have frequently cleared disposals in Lynnwood homes. Do you know what we almost always find? The aforementioned items. The same situation occurs when our commercial plumbers go out to clear restaurant-grade disposals.
How to Clear a Clogged Disposal
1. Turn off the disposal. Flip the switch under the cabinet or on the wall. Be absolutely certain the disposal is shut off before proceeding.
2. Peer inside the drain with a flashlight.
3. If you see food items inside, dislodge it using pliers. No part of your hand should go into the drain.
4. Wait about 20 minutes before turning the disposal back on. An overloaded disposal motor needs time to cool off.
5. Turn the disposal on and push the overload protector button located on the bottom of the unit.
On a side note, never attempt to unclog a garbage disposal using chemical cleaners.
We Clear Clogged Garbage Disposals
Call South County Plumbing if the backup persists. See our discounts and deals for residential and commercial repairs. A clogged garbage disposal requires professional servicing if the above DIY hack fails to do the trick.
Garbage Disposal Repairs and Installations in Lynnwood
Affordable expert plumbing in Edmonds, Lynnwood, Bothell, Everett, Arlington, Mukilteo, Mill Creek, Shoreline, Snohomish, Woodinville, Silver Lake & Maltby